Here is a list of the most common issues and questions that you may encounter when setting up your app on Google Play Store.
- After downloading the app it shows as"Free" / the content looks "locked" / new subscribers can't join
- I tried to pay for my Google Developer Account, but the payment did not go through.
- Where can I change the name of my app or edit the app information?
- Why can't I download the APK and PEPK files from my Passion.io account?
- Why can't I submit an Alpha Release?
- I received an error message whilst performing an Alpha Release. What should I do?
- I received warnings/error messages whilst performing an Alpha Release. What should I do?
- When uploading the apk file, I have received this error message. What should I do?
- The price of my app in the Google Play Store is different from the price in PassionApps.
- How long does it take until my app gets published?
- How do I update my app?
- I don’t see the option to create a key from my service account?
After downloading the app it shows as"Free" / the content looks "locked" / new subscribers can't join
This means that your pricing was not correctly set up in your Google Individual Account. The pricing plans must appear in the left-hand-side menu, section Monetise / Products.
- "In-app products" means one-time payment plans
- "Subscriptions" are monthly recurring payments
So once your app is ready, you should be able to see the plans you created after clicking on either (or both) sections.
What happens if this part looks empty, and you see no pricing at all in either of these sections? This means that your app is not ready yet, because your merchant account is missing. Please proceed to set up your merchant account. And then click publish in Passion.io so the updated subscribing information reaches Google.
If your merchant account is active, you will definitely see the prices of your plans in the Monetise / Products / In-app products, and/or Subscriptions sections.
What if after downloading the app you can see it's for "Free"? Or if after successfully buying the subscription (monthly or one-time), the end-user sees the content as "locked", unable to access the subscribed course?
In this case, you need to go access your Google Console, without selecting your app, and select in the left menu:
Settings → Developer Account → API access:
After clicking API access, a pop-up window will appear with the in-app purchase terms and conditions, and you just need to click "I agree". Everything will be solved just by doing so.
This situation might happen for several reasons:
- If the card has expired
- The credit card or credit card verification (CVC) number was entered incorrectly
- If your billing address doesn't match the address in your Google Payments account
In order to find the details of the transaction, you need to follow the next steps:
- Sign in to your Google Payments account at https://payments.google.com.
- On the left menu, select the “Subscriptions and services” page.
- On the “Other purchase activity” card, click View purchases.
- Click the “Google Play” registration transaction to see your payment method.
- Click “Payment methods” on the left menu if you need to edit the addresses on their Google Payments account.
To add a new credit or debit card to your account, please follow the instructions from Google Payments Help Center available here: https://support.google.com/payments/answer/6220309
You can make changes to your app directly from PassionApps. This is where you can change the name, app description, pricing, etc.
You can also overwrite this information and customize it from your own Google Developer Account in the appropriate sections. Please remember, if you choose this option, you will need to manually edit those sections every time you release a new update for the app.
Why can't I download the APK and PEPK files from my Passion.io account?
In rare cases, the APK and PEPK files are not uploaded automatically in the PassionApps system and it will look like this:
If this happens, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org and request for the files. Once a member of our Customer Service team manually generated them, the files will be available for download from your account in Passion.io.
Why can't I submit an Alpha Release?
In order to submit a release, you need first to complete all the fields: Store listing, Content rating, App content, & Price and distribution. The fields need to be marked green in order to release a new version of the app.
I received warnings/error messages whilst performing an Alpha Release. What should I do?
Once all the fields are completed, you can submit the release.
I received this error while performing an Alpha Release. What do I need to do next?
You can ignore the error messages and go ahead and start the roll-out. These messages will not affect app publication.
When uploading the apk file, I have received this error message. What should I do?
In this case, please contact our Customer Service Team and request that a new file be generated that complies with the API requested by Google.
The price of my app in the Google Play Store is different from the price in PassionApps.
The price in Google Play Store will be higher with approximately 5%. This is due to the Google transaction fee that is applied for payments via Google Chrome Web Store. More information regarding this fee can be found here:
How long does it take until my app gets published?
Your app update will be processed by Google as soon as possible. Certain apps may be subject to extended reviews, which may result in review times of up to 7 days or longer in exceptional cases.
How do I update my app?
Every time you do a change in your Passion.io account, you need to update your Google app as well.
In order to update your app, you must first press the Publish button from the top right corner of your PassionApps section.
Then, you need to wait 8 hours for our system to synchronize with your Google Developer Account.
After a minimum of 8 hours, you need to log in to your Google Developer Account and follow the steps indicated in the E03 tutorial - How to update my Android App:
This step is very important and needs to be performed every time you do changes in your app!
I don’t see the option to create a key from my service account?
In some cases, the option to create the key JSON file will not be available immediately, as in our tutorials.
From the page where you have created the Service account, you need to go to the right side of the page and click the button corresponding to the Actions column. From there, select the Create key and the JSON file will be created.